Friday, December 12, 2014

Collected Status Messages - 3

Here is a selection of the status messages I posted on my social media sites during October/November/December 2014 months:

(Note: The messages are not in any chronological order.)

1. On reading 'Telling Tales - Selected Writings' by Amit Chaudhuri:
I have just finished reading "Telling Tales - Selected Writings." I loved it. I now look forward to reading his other book "Clearing A space".

It is a book of fine essays written by Amit Chaudhuri, the author who wrote books such as A Strange and Sublime Address, Real Time, and Calcutta, Two Years in the City


Telling Tales consolidates his critical writings that have been published in various publications/journals around the world.

The above write-up had been posted on the flipkart.com website from where the book was originally bought. Web Link: http://www.flipkart.com/telling-tales-selected-writing-1993-2013-english/p/itmdpfa5bdyadw7g?pid=9780670087389


2. On reading 'Personal' by Lee Child:
Lee Child’s crime thrillers are one of the fastest-selling books in the world. Millions of copies of 'Personal' have already been sold. 

I have picked it up for its beautiful cover and binding and of course the beauty of fast-paced racy action thriller and stuff had kept me hooked till the end. 


I’ve just finished reading ‘Personal’ (Lee Child’s latest book) and is now resting in the crime thrillers section in my bookcase.




3. On Diwali day:
First off, I attacked a group of huge rotund pedas and quickly gobbled them up...just yumm, couldn't control it! After which, I lighted some diyas and bright red, yellow, green, and pink candles too were lighted up, then arranged some fluffy Marigold, Chameli, and Jasmine in a large square in the hall.
After finishing up the task I stood up before I cast a look at my Better Half for approval to leave and go attend to my other non-existent errands around the apartment. Changing my plans, I went straight up to the kitchen quietly looking to pick up some more pedas while I could. Holy Moly! Pedas were not there anymore! What to do now? Feeling slightly unlucky, I dashed to the puja room to find more rang-birangi diyas. Diyas were there but my beloved pedas too were.... there! YEEEESSS!

Thank Goodness! I popped one first and then another and quietly came away without anyone coming to know of it. Yippeeee! Success at last! Wish you all a very Happy Diwali!

4. On reading 'Heart-Shaped Box' by Joe Hill:
I have just finished reading Stephen King’s son Joe Hill’s horror novel ‘Heart-Shaped Box’ (Gollancz). 

I had looked it up on the Web and found one among the Top 20 Horror fiction titles ever published was Joe Hill’s Heart-Shaped Box. 


That’s it; I had to order the book online. If you think horror movies are terrifying, then pursue reading this book you’d know; especially the first few pages! Utterly scary! 


Like father, like son, Joe Hill is one of the finest writers I have discovered recently.


A slightly different, albeit a longer version of the above write-up had been posted on the Amazon website from where the book was originally bought:
I looked up Google and found this title one among the Top 20 Horror Books published. There were many good ones on the list, but "Heart-Shaped Box" (by Joe Hill) caught my attention. I read the blurb and felt immediately interested to read the book. I am glad I picked "Heart-Shaped Box" from the list this time and it didn't disappoint me. A first few pages into the book and you will have goosebumps all over or the hairs on the back of your neck standing up; the kind of ‘Horror!’ you would want to read! I like the way the book has been written. Great language! I strongly recommend it.

I am already a die-hard fan of Stephen King’s horror genre and I love his works. The question I was facing was will Joe Hill, his very talented son, be able to do the magic for me? YES! Like father, like son, Joe Hill promises and delivers. With this book, he did a wonderful job. "Heart-Shaped Box" deserves high praise. It is indeed a good yarn and I am giving it a 4- star rating because next time when there’s a new book from Mr. Hill I would give it not 5, but 6 stars! Thank you, Mr. Hill, for the “Heart-Shaped Box”. I am moving on to your next work "NOS4A2". I like the title already!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please make your comments here:......